We know so little about cashews because only a small amount of the database of the natural medicines is dedicated to this nut.
Cashew nuts need humidity to grow, which is why we can find them in Tanzania, Nigeria, Brazil, and Mozambique.
5 Health Benefits of Cashew Nuts
1. Cashews are very caloric. Around 50g of cashews contain 275kcal. They are also full with vitamins, minerals, fiber, and other phytochemicals.
2. They are also rich in minerals such as copper, selenium, potassium, manganese, iron, and zinc. You can have a handful of these nuts every day and provide your body with the minerals it needs.
3. Oleic and palmitoleic acids that cashews contain are excellent for the health of the heart. They can lower the bad and normalize the good cholesterol.
The monounsaturated fats can prevent coronary artery disease and stroke because they regulate the blood lipids.
4. Cashews contain vitamin B5, B6, riboflavin, and thiamine. By consuming only 100g of cashews you will get around 30% of the recommended daily dose of vitamin B6, which can lower the chances of developing anemia and homocystinuria.
Cashews also contain niacin, which can protect the skin from dermatitis.
5. These nuts are also full with zeaxanthin, which is an antioxidant and it is absorbed within the retina macula in the eyes. It can protect the eyes from age-related macular degeneration.
Cashews are also the best alternative treatment for depression.
How to Naturally Treat Depression
These nuts contain tryptophan, an amino acid that is important for growth and development, improving the sleep, regulating the mood, lowering the stress levels, and the levels of anxiety and depression.
Around 2000mg of tryptophan are contained in only two handfuls of cashews, which is equally successful as the antidepressants.
The only difference is that you won’t get the side-effects from the antidepressants.
Cashew nut allergy
Cashews can cause allergic reactions at any person and at every age. This allergy is very common, and it is the same type of allergy as any other nut.